Welcome to my blog

The best PTC on the web

Thursday 28 February 2008

Running Man



I’m a big advocate of running. It isn’t for everyone I know, and like marmite, you either love it or hate it. In my opinion it’s right up there as one of the best forms of cardio you can perform. The amount of energy expended during running makes it the ultimate calorie burner, and it’s often the best way to break through the inevitable plateau.

As well as its superior fat burning potential, running brings a whole host of other benefits. It improves cardiovascular health and lowers blood pressure. Your arteries expand and contract when running and this helps prevents them from hardening, reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke. I also find it an excellent mood booster. I can go to the gym feeling quite low and after 20 minutes of running, my outlook on everything has completely changed. A natural high produced by the production of endorphins; this is often referred to as the ‘runner’s high’.

Running gets a lot of negative press because of its high impact nature. In reality you could actually help prevent conditions like osteoporosis, by forcing the bones to grow stronger as they react to the physical demands placed upon them from running. If you are worried about your joints I would suggest you find a decent pair of trainers with a cushioned heel. You could even go to a runners shop and get advice on what pair suits your running style. Don’t keep the same pair for years, either. Replace them every so often, depending on the amount of running you do. Marathon runners replace their trainers every few months! I’m not asking you to become a marathon runner though :)

There is also a concern by many bodybuilders that running will break down the muscle they have worked so hard to attain. While this is a possibility, it’s only likely if your carbohydrate intake isn’t adequate and you’re running really hard for long periods.

Worried about burning muscle for energy?

Ease up, run at a comfortable pace.
Keep your run under 30 minutes
Eat a decent level of complex quality carbs, (whole grain pasta, sweet potato) before you run.
If you’re a bodybuilder, your diet will already be good. If you start running, take on more carbs before a run. It’s that simple.

I’ve seen bodybuilders get out of puff lifting weights, as they have paid absolutely no attention to their cardiovascular fitness. What you’ve got to remember is a little bit of running will help you lift those weights easier. It will also help you get down to that single figure fat percentage.

A friend of mine started running last year, and I asked him to post a brief account of how it’s been going. Here’s what he had to say…

About 10 months ago I started to go to the gym, to try and lose a bit of weight as I was up to 107kg. Being of a lazy disposition, running was the last thing I wanted to do, but all the extra weight I was carrying was popping my back out of alignment on a regular basis. My osteopath told me that I needed to lose weight or I will be visiting him more and more often. This gave me the motivation I needed to get off my backside and do something about it.

The good thing about running is that you can see the improvements within the first couple of weeks. When I started running, a mile use to take me 11mins 26 sec, and I had to stop/slow down to a walking pace at least 2 - 3 times, just to catch my breath. Gradually I got better until a mile became easy.

It has been a slow process for me because my diet isn’t good; if I ate a balanced diet and kept away from then beer, I would have lost more weight than I already have. As it stands though, I have still managed to shed 20 kilos. I now run at least four miles, five days a week, which takes me approximately 29 minutes to complete, and without stopping. That’s quite an achievement for me. If I can do it, anyone can. Just start slowly and build yourself up.

Paul Huish

Paul talks about it being a slow process, but I think 20kilos in 10 months is pretty impressive, and without really changing his diet. I think this goes some way to proving my point about it being the ultimate fat burner. Improving the poor condition of his back was the main motivation behind his running, and that’s exactly what he as achieved.

So, if you’re in the higher body fat percentage, and looking to shed the pounds quickly - running may be the best option for you.

Be sensible, start slow and enjoy it.

Don’t forget to combine it with weight training.

Good luck

Nick

No comments:

Google